One of the number one questions that both men and women ask their trainers is, “How can I lose weight fast?” I love that clients think we have a magic wand like the fairy godparents of fitness who can magically make those stubborn pounds melt away.
Truth be told, it takes effort both in and out of the kitchen and gym to lose those extra pounds that have creeped on. Like Rome, it didn’t happen overnight, so give yourself some time and patience, and it can happen. Here are fifteen great ways to start losing the weight.
1. Get Your Cardio On! Jump into an aerobics style class be Zumba or dance fitness six times over a two week time period. Active movement burns calories and increases your metabolism.
2. Make Dinner Light. Try the no carbohydrate rule after 3p.m., making dinner a light salad or protein filled snack instead. Dinner has been known to be the more likely meal to turn into fat than they breakfast due to sleep patterns.
3. Sleep More. Get a good night’s sleep – at least eight solid hours is suggested. Sleeping well has been shown to increase metabolism and fight obesity.
4. Reduce Drinking! Yes, I said it. To lose the weight, you have to cut back on the alcohol. Alcoholic beverages are full of sugar and unwanted calories.
5. Take The Stairs. The average person should be walking 10,000 steps a day. Why not take the stairs to your office? Park farther away from the store. Any way you can, get those steps in.
6. No Time To Workout. How about adding in mini-workouts to your day; Take ten minutes at lunch to be active. Walk around the building, then drop and go for a quick Pilates Fab Five abdominal series.
7. Reduce Eating Out. Start your weeks off planning meals at home. You’ll know exactly what you are eating and can control your portion size. Make eating out a treat once a week.
8. Hydrate. Switch usual drinks out for water. Don’t like plain water? Add a little lemon to it. On average, we should all have eight glasses of water a day. In hotter months be sure to increase your intake by a few more glasses. Water helps to flush your body of unwanted toxins and fat.
9. Add Fitness Technology. There are so many new great fitness apps and gadgets. I never am without my Fitbit. It tracks my steps, my meals, water intake, exercise and more. Even cooler, I can add friends. We can track each other, poke and encourage one another.
10. Try Pilates. Pilates reduces stress, increases stamina, increases metabolism, tones and sculpts the body. Pilates is also a great fat burner!
11. Give Up Snacking. Evening and late night snacks are packed with unwanted calories and fat. Instead, try a glass of warm water with lemon or a distressing tea at night. You’ll stay hydrated while giving your stomach that “I’m full” feeling.
12. Quit Smoking. Did you know that smoking prevents proper food digestion and reduces metabolism while potentially increasing body fat? It’s true. There’s no time like the present to give yourself the gift of health.
13. Walk. It’s that easy. Grab your fitness app, track your steps and get in three miles every day for one week. You will feel better, and see a difference in your body composition.
14. Decrease Sugars, Carbohydrates and Caffeine. For one week, try to decrease or give up these three all together. Your body will have a sense of an internal cleanse, body fat will decrease, stamina will increase, mental clarity will increase and weight will start to decrease.
15. Journal. Keeping a diet diary will hold you accountable. It also gives you an opportunity to see when and how much you really eat and exercise. After one week you will be able to alter your routines and habits for a more positive health regimen.