After hearing about a popular new protein supplement that helps you lose weight, 27-year-old Australian man Matthew Whitby went online and purchased it. Not long after he began taking the supplement, doctors told the young father he only had two weeks to live. His liver was failing, and he needed an emergency transplant if he wanted to survive. Whitby was so close to death that he accepted a donated liver that was infected with Hepatitis B. The American College of Gastroenterology has reported that green tea extract can be toxic to some susceptible individuals and doctors say that it was most likely this ingredient that caused Whitby’s liver to fail. Professor Gary Jeffrey, a liver specialist, says that doctors have been seeing more and more cases of [linkbuilder id=”6436″ text=”liver damage”] they believe to be caused by these herbal remedies. “People who have normal liver function can develop liver problems with herbal extract toxicity,” Jeffrey said. “There have been a number of countries around the world that have removed slimming agents from the market because of the increased rate of liver damage.” In Australia, there are no warnings listed on products that contain green tea extract, but Whitby is now speaking out about the potential dangers of these supplements. “I didn’t think something you could buy online or just over the counter did the damage that it did to me.” The Therapeutic Goods Administration released a statement about the case which is currently under review, saying “the results of which will be made public if there is sufficient evidence of a safety issue to warrant further action.” According to experts, it is still safe to drink green tea in moderation, as problems are more likely to arise when using the concentrated form.
Disclaimer: Just so you know, if you order an item through one of our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.