It’s always a good idea to check-in on what you are, or are not doing, to see if you are sabotaging all those great efforts you are making in the gym. If you are killing it with Pilates classes, HIIT classes and cardio and still not seeing results, something is probably off. Hopefully these five tips will help you reassess and get you back on track to those fitness goals and results you are wanting.
1. Too Much Cardio. Cardio can definitely help to burn fat, but it can only take you so far. Plus your body gets bored over time, and eventually your metabolism stops responding in the same way.
What to Do? Cut your cardio workouts in half, and replace that time with weight training. Not only will you tone your body, you’ll also increase your resting metabolic rate, which means you’ll burn continue to burn fat throughout your day. Did you know that after one Pilates class you will continue to burn fat for the next 24-hours?
2. A High Sodium Diet. Although sodium doesn’t necessarily contribute to belly fat, it does cause your body to retain water. This bloating is going to make your belly look bigger than it is, and hide all the hard work you’ve been putting in at the gym.
What to Do? Pretty simple cut out the salt. Try adding others seasonings to your foods. Fresh herbs and spices like cayenne pepper will actually help you burn more calories and fat.
3. Drinking Soda. Think diet soda won’t interfere with your fat burning efforts? Diet soda is full of artificial sweeteners and ingredients that throw your metabolism off track, leading to hunger spikes and sugar cravings. Regardless of what the drink says, read the label and look at the primary ingredients. Stay away from sugar and artificial sweeteners.
What to Do? Replace soda with drinks that actually help to burn fat. Water’s the best natural detox for your body. My favorite is to add lemon to my water and drink at least 90-ounces a day. Keeps me feeling full and healthy all day long.
4. Poor Sleep. Clients are often surprised by this tip, but one night of poor sleep really does a number on your metabolism. Not only will you burn less fat, you’ll also end up with non-stop cravings for everything bad. You know those cravings, something sugary and salty. This is because sleep plays an important role in regulating key hormones related to hunger and metabolism.
What to Do? Make sure you’re getting a solid 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night, and make sure it’s good sleep! If you have one of the new fitness apps, you can track you sleep to see just the quality of sleep you are getting.
5. Drinking Alcohol. The problem with alcohol is that it’s really high in calories, regardless of what it’s mixed with. When consumed on a regular basis, it’s definitely going to interfere with your fat loss efforts. Sorry, but that whole one glass of red wine a night for heart health – really isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
What to Do? You don’t have to give it up altogether, but try cutting down on how often you drink. Definitely cut down on high calorie drinks like beer, sugary and salty drinks like margaritas, and anything mixed with fruit juices or soda. When you do drink, try sticking to vodka, champagne or gin and soda – as these are lower in calories overall. Cheers to staying healthy in moderation!